Water Based Pre-Stain Conditioner is a formula similar to our water-based stains without the colorant. Use General Finishes Pre-Stain Conditioner Natural as a wood conditioner to control blotching on hard-to-stain woods, such as maple, pine and cherry, before applying a water-based wood stain.
Hand-Application Over Raw Wood:
- Stir Pre-Stain Conditioner Natural to reincorporate solids that have settled to the bottom of the can before and throughout the application process.
- If desired, thin pre-stain with 10-15% General Finishes Extender to maximize flow and level, and increase open time, which is helpful in dry climates.
- Pre-Stain Conditioner Natural can improve colour uniformity over difficult-to-stain wood species such as pine. However, it will limit colour absorption, so a darker wood stain may be required to get the desired depth of colour.
- Test your complete finishing process before starting. The colour of stain is affected by variances in wood and deepened by the application of topcoat.
- Divide your project into manageable sections: top, side, drawer, door, table seam.
- Apply a LIBERAL amount of Pre-Stain Conditioner to ensure easy workability using a synthetic bristle brush, foam brush, pad applicator or roller. If not enough is used, the surface may dry too quickly, causing an uneven appearance. On large projects, leave wet edge between sections to prevent lap lines.
- Apply Pre-Stain Conditioner to a complete section and wipe off the excess evenly with the grain using quality paper or shop towels. Check for missed spots and lap marks before moving to the next section. Do NOT use cotton t-shirts because they will "push" the stain around and not absorb it.
- Immediately correct lap marks by rewetting the entire working area with stain and wiping off the excess.
- Pull excess stain out of corners and detail with a bristle brush.
- Let Pre-stain Conditioner dry 20 minutes but no more than 30 minutes before applying GF water-based stain in ideal conditions: 50-70% humidity, 70°F/20°C.
- Then apply 1+ coats of General Finishes Water Based Wood Stain
|Interior or Exterior||Interior/Exterior|
|Application Method||Brush, Spray|
|Usable over existing finishes||No|
|Spray Tip Sizes||HVLP 1.1mm-1.3mm|
|Dry Time - Touch||10+ min.|
|Dry Time - Recoat||30+ min. before adding stain|
|Can Sizes||Pints, Quarts, Gallons|
|Coverage||50-75 sq.ft./pint, 100-150 sq.ft./quart, 400-600 sq.ft./gallon|
Products You Have Viewed Recently:
UK Shipping Rates
|FREE SHIPPING OVER £65: 2 - 4 days||£65.00 and up|
|NEXT DAY SERVICE TRACKED (Delivery Mon-Sat) Same Day Dispatch - order before 2pm (weekend orders processed Monday)|
|ROYAL MAIL 48HR TRACKED: Medium Parcel - Same Day Dispatch (order by 2pm) 2 days (delivery mon-sat)|
|ROYAL MAIL 1ST CLASS - Large Letter 1-2 days|
|ROYAL MAIL 1ST CLASS: Light Small Parcel - Same Day Dispatch (order by 2pm) 1-2 days|
|ROYAL MAIL 1ST CLASS: Small Parcel - Same Day Dispatch (order by 2pm) 1-2 days|
|ROYAL MAIL 2ND: Free Shipping - 2 - 4 days|
|UK Furniture Courier - 7 -21 days £55|
EU Shipping Rates
Europe Flat Rate of £19.99 tracked and insured 10 - 21 days - customs/ import costs NOT included the customer is liable for all import duties
Terms & Conditions
If the item is out of stock we don't always update the website if we are expecting a delivery. This may extend our dispatch times slightly. We aim to dispatch within 1 working day but may not always be possible.
Would would love nothing more than to GUARANTEE all of our service times but on occasions the courier companies and Royal Mail may not meet their quoted times. It happens but we cannot be held accountable for delivery delays. All services still have guarantees suspended.
ReturnsOnline return policy: original packaging unspoilt and unopened or used in anyway can be returned within 14 days from the date of delivery. Only upon inspection will a refund be offered. We are not liable for any incurred return shipping fees. Our policy lasts 14 days, After this time unfortunately we can’t offer you a refund or exchange. To be eligible for a return, your item must be unused unopened and in the same condition that you received it.
If your item has arrived and its damaged, please contact us within 2 days of receiving your order. send us an email to email@example.com with details and a photograph of the damage. We will arrange for you to return the item and send a replacement or offer a refund.
If you have completed the shipping information incorrectly on your order and your parcel is not delivered or is 'lost' we do not offer any refunds on the product or cost of shipping.
If we have found an error with our addressing of your parcel we will track and trace with royal mail and seek resolution with them. This can be a timely process. If we cannot track or trace your order after such time a replacement order will be sent to you
Once your return is received and inspected, we will send you an email to notify you that we have received your returned item. We will also notify you of the approval or rejection of your refund.
If you are approved, then your refund will be processed, and a credit will automatically be applied to your credit card or original method of payment, within 5 working days.
Returns Sale Items
Only regular priced items may be refunded, unfortunately sale items cannot be refunded.
You are responsible for paying for your own shipping costs for returning your item. Shipping costs are non-refundable. If you receive a refund, the cost of return shipping will be deducted from your refund.
If you are shipping an item over £75, you should consider using a trackable shipping service or purchasing shipping insurance. We don’t guarantee that we will receive your returned item.