General Finishes Pre Stain Wood Conditioner water based 473ml, 946ml
Water Based Pre-Stain Conditioner is a formula similar to our water-based stains without the colorant. Use General Finishes Pre-Stain Conditioner Natural as a wood conditioner to control blotching on hard-to-stain woods, such as maple, pine and cherry, before applying a water-based wood stain.
Hand-Application Over Raw Wood:
- Stir Pre-Stain Conditioner Natural to reincorporate solids that have settled to the bottom of the can before and throughout the application process.
- If desired, thin pre-stain with 10-15% General Finishes Extender to maximize flow and level, and increase open time, which is helpful in dry climates.
- Pre-Stain Conditioner Natural can improve colour uniformity over difficult-to-stain wood species such as pine. However, it will limit colour absorption, so a darker wood stain may be required to get the desired depth of colour.
- Test your complete finishing process before starting. The colour of stain is affected by variances in wood and deepened by the application of topcoat.
- Divide your project into manageable sections: top, side, drawer, door, table seam.
- Apply a LIBERAL amount of Pre-Stain Conditioner to ensure easy workability using a synthetic bristle brush, foam brush, pad applicator or roller. If not enough is used, the surface may dry too quickly, causing an uneven appearance. On large projects, leave wet edge between sections to prevent lap lines.
- Apply Pre-Stain Conditioner to a complete section and wipe off the excess evenly with the grain using quality paper or shop towels. Check for missed spots and lap marks before moving to the next section. Do NOT use cotton t-shirts because they will "push" the stain around and not absorb it.
- Immediately correct lap marks by rewetting the entire working area with stain and wiping off the excess.
- Pull excess stain out of corners and detail with a bristle brush.
- Let Pre-stain Conditioner dry 20 minutes but no more than 30 minutes before applying GF water-based stain in ideal conditions: 50-70% humidity, 70°F/20°C.
- Then apply 1+ coats of General Finishes Water Based Wood Stain
|Interior or Exterior||Interior/Exterior|
|Application Method||Brush, Spray|
|Usable over existing finishes||No|
|Spray Tip Sizes||HVLP 1.1mm-1.3mm|
|Dry Time - Touch||10+ min.|
|Dry Time - Recoat||30+ min. before adding stain|
|Can Sizes||Pints, Quarts, Gallons|
|Coverage||50-75 sq.ft./pint, 100-150 sq.ft./quart, 400-600 sq.ft./gallon|