How To Guide For General Finishes Water Based Stains
General Finishes Water Based Wood Stains are formulated to provide workability similar to oil-based stains. They spread easily, can be repaired, blend effortlessly and have plenty of open time. The thicker formula of these wood stains allow for controlled penetration and their high-quality pigments produce rich and dark, uniform colours on hard-to-stain woods like maple and pine. Low odor, low VOC, water cleanup and noncombustible.
Hand-Application over Raw Wood:
- Apply a LIBERAL amount of stain to ensure easy workability using a synthetic bristle brush, foam brush, pad applicator or roller. (see links on pics for more info)>
- If there's not enough stain used, the surface may dry too quickly, causing an uneven appearance. On large projects, leave a wet edge between sections to prevent lap lines.
- Stain a complete section and wipe off the excess evenly with the grain using quality paper towel, or absorbent cotton open weave cloth or terry cloth.
- Check for missed spots and lap marks before moving to the next section. Do NOT use cotton t-shirts to wipe away stain because they will "push" the stain around and not absorb it.
- Pull excess stain out of corners and details with a synthetic bristle brush.
- Immediately correct lap marks by rewetting the entire working area with stain and wiping off the excess.
- Let the stain dry 2+ hours in ideal conditions: 50-70% humidity, 70*F/20*C before adding a second coat (optional) and before adding topcoat. Be sure to allow adequate dry time. If in doubt, wait longer. Increase dry time if:
- Humidity is over 80%
- 3+ coats are applied (not recommended)
- Thick coats are applied
- To accelerate dry time in humid conditions, add General Finishes Accelerator before applying and work in a space with good ventilation and air movement. If you decide to re-coat before the recommended time, test dryness.
|Application Method||Brush, Spray|
|Usable over existing finishes||Yes - see product page application instructions.|
|Spray Tip Sizes||HVLP 1.1mm-1.3mm|
|Dry Time - Touch||Raw Wood (30+ min.), Existing Finish (1+ hr)|
|Dry Time - Recoat||2+ hr|
|Can Sizes||Pints, Quarts, Gallons|
|Coverage||50-75 sq.ft./pint, 100-150 sq.ft./quart, 400-600 sq.ft./gallon|